I’m speaking to a class of students at Luther Seminary on Friday who are preparing to do ‘mission development’ as either a new enterprise, or within the context of an already established church. LOTS of things to talk about, including a bit about the story of Jacob’s Well, but I’ve only got 45 minutes. So here is the 5 point checklist I’m giving them (and yes, it feels a bit inadequate to me too.)
- Are you really called? Are you willing to do whatever it takes? (’cause it will take it!) Who are you as a leader? (strengths/non-strengths, assets/liabilities)
- What is your vision? What are your expectations, what does ‘success’ look like? Is your vision clear enough for others to follow and big enough to need God to make it happen?
- What is your plan? (models you are watching, strategy and systems, including funding)
- Who is your team? How will you find them? How will you prepare them and use them to complement and balance you?
- How will you evaluate? Don’t overlook this!
Given this is just a sketch… what’s missing? Particularly anything that can’t be fitted into one of these 5 points?